Air China, has started non-stop flights connecting Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) to Istanbul International Airport (IST). This route was previously exclusively operated by Turkish Airlines. Now, it has competition.
Air China : Beijing to Istanbul
On December 29, Chinese flag carrier Air China operated the inaugural flight. The Airbus A330-200 registered as B-6505 operatd the maiden flight between Istanbul International Airport and Beijing Capital International Airport. From now, the airline will be operating thrice weekly flights between both these cities. Days of operations will be Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Here is a look at the route timings :
CA 859 : The Airbus A330 departs Beijing Airport at 02:00 hrs and arrives at Istanbul Airport at 08:00 hrs.
CA 860 : After a brief halt, the Airbus A330 departs Istanbul Airport at 14:55 hrs and returns to Shanghai at 05:30 hrs next day.
On December 29th, the inaugural flight departed Beijing Airport at 02:16 hrs and arrived at Istanbul Airport at 08:36 hrs.
During the inauguration ceremony, Acting CEO of Istanbul Airport, Selahattin Bilgen said : Reciprocal flights between Istanbul and Beijing will improve the two nations’ trade, tourism, and cultural ties even more. The partnership between Istanbul Airport and Air China is encouraging for increasing international connections and regional and international air travel. With the addition of Air China, there are now four Chinese airlines that serve Istanbul Airport.
Aircraft and Product
Air China operates this route using a fleet of Airbus A330. The airline has a fleet of 50 Airbus A330 jets. Out of these, 22 are the Airbus A330-200 variant and remaining 28 are Airbus A330-300 variant. Air China is operating Beijing to Istanbul route using the Airbus A330-200 jet.
The airline operates these jets with three configurations :
- 30 Business Class Seats with 207 Economy Class Seats
- 12 Business Class Seats with 271 Economy Class Seats
- 18 Business Class Seats with 247 Economy Class Seats
As of now, the airline is deploying the Airbus A330 with 30 Business Class and 207 Economy Class on this route. These flights are the part of Bilateral Agreement signed between Turkey and China.
Talking about overall competition in Istanbul to China Market, there are 3 other airlines which are currently operating from China to Istanbul. These are :
- Sichuan Airlines : Sichuan connects Istanbul to Chengdu Tianfu International Airport with 4 times weekly flights. It utilises the Airbus A330-200 aircraft.
- China Eastern Airlines : CEA connects Istanbul to Shanghai Pudong International Airport. With a frequency of 6 times weekly, the airline use Airbus A330-200 jet on this route.
- China Southern Airlines : CSA connects Istanbul to Beijing Daxing International Airport. The airline operates thrice weekly flights using the Airbus A330 jet.
Talking specifically about the Beijing-Istanbul route, Turkish Airlines operates daily flights using the Boeing 777 jet. Moreover, China Southern Airlines connects Beijing to Istanbul from different airport.
Read More Here at : 2024 Set to Witness Heightened Competition Between Air India and IndiGo